Saturday 12 March 2011

Beats of Resistance

So on the 9th of March (2011) I went to 'Beats of resistance', it was presented by the  University of Westminster's student
union and organised by Stop the War and the LSE Palestine Society collaboration.


It was a fund-raising event and all the money made was donated to STW. Friends of Al Aqsa and St John's Eye Hospital in
Jerusalem. 


Everybody who spoke and performed were amaaazinng! We were lucky enough to see a load of MCs like Lowkey, Logic, Jimmy Jitsu, 
Crazy Haze, Strive & Techincal Error, Reveal, Mic Righteous, Krazed and Jinn Matic (Sorrryyyy if I got any names wrong, 
I took it off the Counterfire website!) we had a live set all night with DJ Steez b2b with DJ Snuff and heard poetry 
from the amazing Sanasiino and True Bess.


Speakers included Jody McIntyre (Political activist and a writer for the Independent) 
John Rees (STWC/ Eye witness to the Egyptian uprising) 
Saba Jarrar (social worker from Jenin) and Shadia Edwards Dashti from the University of SOAS. 


There was a raffle too! (Which I didn't win :(...) Signed clothing, books, makeover and a photoshoot were up for grabs and 
then there was a charity auction! Guess what they were auctioning... Tea with Tony Benn! Now, considering most of the people
there were students, £65 is a lot for tea with Tony Benn! I know he's an amazing guy but yeah the auction was pretty 
successful! 


One of the stalls I saw was Statemeant. www.statemeant.com << That's the website! I recommend you check it out and buy 
something, they have some seeeeerious clothing! Also check out www.duniyaphotos.com for a great photographer and check out 
her current project about showing the world what brilliant things Hijabi women do, challenging bullshit negativity that is
thrown at Hijabi women in society. 


So yeeeessssssss... I took some pictures. It's annoying because I didn't take my camera out earlier (like a bumcrum), you 
could say I was too into it all. So, unfortunately I didn't get pictures of everybody on the night but yeah, there's 
still a lot to look at! 


Enjoy! - Oooh also, sorry about my excitement about the pics, I found some new effect and then got slightly obsessed!

































No comments:

Post a Comment